What Is Morning Meeting?
Morning Meeting and Crew are critical and safe spaces for students and staff to grow and develop meaningful relationships. Adults monitor, support, advocate for, and challenge students to grow and build the skills and knowledge they will need for healthy social-emotional development. Students have a voice and will receive tools to know how to use it.
Morning Meeting Component: Sharing
What is it?
- Helps students to get to know each other
- Develops important social and emotional competencies
- Teaches thinking, listening and speaking skills
- Strengthens language development and reading success (build vocabulary, learn pronunciation, learn to speak with grammatical accuracy)
- Offers students an engaging way to develop empathy, consideration of others’ perspectives and social awareness
- Helps students develop a repertoire of responses to different kinds of news, including asking constructive, purposeful questions and offering emphatic, insightful comments
Morning Meeting component: Teambuilding Activity
What is it?
- Allows the group to experience working together to produce an outcome impossible as individuals or a small group (build sense of community and group identity)
- Short and fast-paced and involve everyone in the class
- Encourages cooperation and inclusion
- Reinforces and extends academic and social emotional skills
- Fosters active and engaged participation
- Allows students to see one another’s unique strengths
- Provides the experience of having fun as a group